Friday, March 7, 2008

a general change


Something that's changing fast for me is having to deal with actua-scheduling issues - and watch as it effects all those in my generation. Manch has always been a place that we have perhaps taken for granted; not in a bad way, but in going along for the ride kind of way. When there was school there was certainty in scheduling, and anyway, my folks did it for us.

BUT NOW: Wa-wa-woo-wa!! (in the words of Borat) I have to think about all these newbie elements - namely work and that thing I have come to know as "vacation time". What's this?! Having to work around a given amount of vacation time? And coordinating with a partner's work schedule as well?! So different.

Ah yes, it is a reality.

Then, moving on up, I guess retirement allows you to base your schedule ON and AROUND those you want to see, how easy that must be...

Anyhoo, that's just a minor comment I guess as I work with trying to book time/flight/family for an arrival sometime in the early 20's of August of this year.

1 comment:

DougB said...

...and you've had your share of looonnng vacations from the far corners of the world... you globetrotter!

As kids, we also went with our folks on their vacations, tho in my case I always felt shortchanged when I had to head back home with my folks while my big sis got to stay on at manch for another week or month with her cousins.

Later on, when my folks took the barrhouse for their weeks, it usually coincided with my sis & her fam coming east, so I'd stay in a tent for a weekend... always hoping those days would coincide with a complement of cousins and a flock of budding filmstars for 'my' creations.

Even 'having matured', parents gone, I still haven't established a summer routine for myself... never enough time or money to do a vacation any justice.

Maybe when I 'retire' (i.e. get booted out the gerontological top of the employment world and live off of social security) I'll turn the pottery into a hermitage and finally get my own time at Manch!