Sunday, December 19, 2010

Marjorie Gibbon Masek


Dear Hopkinson Family Members:
I am sorry to announce that:

My wife, Maggie G. Masek passed away 12/12/10 at 1:21 pm due to COPD (emphysema) and a viral infection to her lungs.

Marjorie Gibbon Masek was a Grand-daughter of Charles Hopkinson, for those reading this Blog, who may not be familiar with Maggie & her affiliation with this Family Blog.

A Memorial Service will be held sometime in Jan. here on our home Island of Martha's Vineyard. Another Memorial Service will be held this coming Summer at Manch.

You will be notified of each service.

Maggie is known for her prolific Art work: mediums of wall-hangins, water-color, oil, lino. print making, drawing. She attended 2 1/2 yrs. of Art Educ. at the Penn. Academy of Fine Arts., Phila.
Maggie was a semi-pro. having sold her work in a few Galleries.

She leaves behind a vast body of work which also includes about 10 linear feet of Journals,
containing profound poetry, observations, drawings, paintings.

We vacationed at Manch. for about 30 yrs.!

Her sons: Nathan & Tobias will hold a service at Manch.

I'm sorry if this news reaches you as a sudden shock.
I know you all love Maggie & will continue to honor her Spirit of Freely given Love.

God Bless us all,
Jim Masek

following is the obituary which appeared in the Martha's Vineyard Times Jan 6.

Marjorie Gibbon Masek, age 70, passed away on 12-12-10 at 1:21 pm at her home located in Vineyard Haven, Ma. with her family gathered to her bedside; supported by Island Hospice. James Masek, Artist/Carpenter and Husband of 26 years (married 1984), was her primary Care Giver during her long, chronic illness.


As a girl, Marjorie attended the Miquan School, Media, Pa., where she first experienced a love for a free and open learning style.


Marjorie was pleased to have graduated from The Putney School, Putney, Vt. Class of 1958, and she excelled in both fine arts and modern dance.


She attended The Pennsylvania Academy of The Fine Arts for 2 1/2 yrs. There she met her first husband, oil Painter and fellow Student, Robert Shepard. They settled in Acworth, NH and were married for 13 yrs.


As an Art Teacher, Marjorie "volunteered" her time freely to teach the youth creative processes in the Arts and Modern Dance. She taught in the Acworth, NH "Free School", a fore runner of a present day "Charter" type School. Maggie taught children in her home Studio; one former Student has recently graduated from college in the Fine Arts.


Marjorie sold her watercolor paintings and linoleum prints on Island. She left a large body of art work, including a large variety of note cards, which were also sold. Maggie exhibited art in many Island art shows since settling here in 1984.


Marjorie attended the Society of Friends Meeting since a young woman.


A Memorial Service will be held on Martha's Vineyard Jan. 19 at 6pm Funeral Home Chapel.



2 comments:

james masek said...

Thank you Doug for the additional post add-on of the newspaper obit.
The photo really reflects her inner/outer beauty. Now this post is digitally saved for a long time we hope.
Best to you all,
Jim Masek

james masek said...

Hi Doug,
I had not visited the blog since i posted Maggie's obit. So I login today to learn who is doing what with their lives.I seem to be not the only person seemingly disappeared.
I sold my home on Martha's vineyard and moved to rochester, NY to be near my daughter and gr.girls.To be in close proximity to excellent health care providers, as I have leukemia since about 2013. I'm 81 and bought a nice home in suburb. Live alone & miss Manch, MV Island and my hippy dippy youth. I've grown up now. Practicing Buddhism.My best to you all, Jim Masek