Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Gen 5...

Since Mike's 50th is upcoming, and if I remember correctly he's the eldest of his gen (and just a few years younger than the youngest of the 4th... ME)

a) I'd love to know which day in March... (15th?) and IS he the first of his gen to hit the big L? (or is that Tom?)

b) I'd love to be reminded of the birth order of all members of the 5th gen. Unless I'm mistaken, the count is 29... Elinor, George & John; Nathan, Torbjorn & Katrina (I know, SP, but I can't help myself); Martha, Annie, Eric & Mark; Mike, Jenny & Ben; Jesse; Nathan & Tobias; Sarah & Mark; Tom & Beth; John, Mike & Ellen; Elizabeth & Meggie; Meaghan & Curt; Soren & Wyatt.

c) I'd ALSO love to know the birth order of the 4th gen too! I know who it starts and ends with, and the penultimate is my sister, and I think Edie Jane falls just before that, and then I'm lost... Please, someone, put them in order... Hallie, Lias, John & Edie Jane; Shatzie, Palsie, Johnny & Maggie; Nell, Tom, Chuck & Bella; Arthur & Charlie; Mag & Doug.

d) Now it has become obvious there's a Gen6 to contend with. There's clearly a Simon, and I know there's an Emma and a Zoey and an Ibby (or two?) and a Jacob, but that's about as far as I can stretch.

Can somebody pullleeeeeze help this old brain?

19 comments:

----t h rive---- said...

You got us Rives right. Kathrine's going to flip!

DougB said...

Sorry dood, I see it spelt that way and I read 'kath-rin'.

Anyway, you're saying I got it right in birth order too? Nathan's younger than John?

----t h rive---- said...

JOhn and Nathan are twins.

DougB said...

same day? really? How convenient for the grandmother!

but... somehow I think you're funnin me.

I work with someone who has my birthday, tho I'm a year older, and other than him the only one I know with an Oct18 bday was Lee Harvey Oswald. :-\

----t h rive---- said...

hey! October 18: as well the birthday of my girlfriend Christine. How fascinating - yet typical, that crazies are all born in mid-October.

Anonymous said...

ok, how about this: Bill Appel's birthday is on October 1. Bill Appel's birthday is on October 2. Both statements are true.

DougB said...

Torbs... by twins, I figured same day, same year, which would indeed be remarkable. But as far as I can recall, John is somewhat older than Nathan... but I may well be wrong about that. So... are J & N twins in the same way that Christine and I are twins?

DougB said...

Paua... my guess is that either Bill's father was also named Bill, and had bdays only a day apart, or Bill was delivered around midnight by a noncommittal obstetrician who couldn't decide which day it was so he recorded that it was the stroke of midnight and let the parents decide which day it was.

Anonymous said...

Nope, and nope.

Remember Gen 6! Bill(y) Appel was born October 2, 1995, first son of George and Hoa. Bill Appel was born some years earlier.

DougB said...

SURELY I get credit for my first answer? YOU might've inferred my implication that it was an intergenerational quincidence.
And considering nobody has answered my queries about orders of birth, much less names for gen 6 (and maybe even gen 7 ?) I thot I dun good.

Maggie B. said...

Alex has a huge family tree program that can begin to answer some of the questions. He's extracted some info into a couple of pdf docs. What do you suppose is the best way to post it? I'm thinking the wiki. Can we upload documents?

What he's done is put people in families in outline form, with whatever birthdates he has, and another in birth order, based on knowns and guesses. It would be great if everyone could fill the in the blanks and add missing people. But we have to get them uploaded to somewhere first. I could upload to our webspace and put in a link. That might work OK.

Or would you rather keep making silly guesses? This might take the fun out of it!

DougB said...

Have you looked at Mike Boehm's genealogy, linked from Manchiwikipedia? It really does seem like a nifty setup, easy to operate (on hispeed, no way would I try it on dialup) but since it's on Mike's username & pwd, I spose it has a specific home base, which is likely not the most recent entries I added. Tho a gigundous all-encompassing genealogy including everybody from Chris Boehm's great-grandparents to Judy Barr's great-nieces would be really slick, and would eliminate duplicated efforts.
Alex's PDF may be a good way to show us that data, but is there a way we can edit and update on his PDF (I only have Reader, not Acrobat)? or can he convert his PDF to something editable?
How's the Rogue!?!

Maggie B. said...

I know what you mean about not duplicating. Alex has us traced back to Charlemagne. I don't think he wants to enter all the thousands of people he has in Family Tree Maker into Mike's. But we can certainly garner from Geni the data for the people we don't have. I agree that Mike's Geni is pretty nifty.

The data that Alex pulled out is more to show you the birth order starting at Gen 1, since that was one of your questions. And updating the pdf would be cumbersome -- people would have to email us or put it on the blog or something like that.

The Rogue is great! Seeing as it's red and car-forum writers tend to put the "U" in the wrong place, I think we'll call it the Rouge.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Doug, you get credit for the Appel answer a few days back!

Tom said...

Gen 4: Nell, Schatzie, Tom, John G., Palsie, Chuck, Bella, Hallie, Margie, Elias, John R., Arthur, Charlie, Maggie, Doug.

Gen 5, Big L: Tom Halsted Jr. hit it 10/13/06; Beth's will be in 10 days, on 3/11/08.

Gen 6: It's Zoƫ, not Zoey.

Maggie B. said...

Gen 4: Don't forget Edie Jane, who comes between Charlie and Maggie!

Anonymous said...

Gen 6 includes Ben Rockhold (16); Daniel R.(14 in April); Sage (13), dtr. of John & Jill; Billy (12) and Tommy (10) sons of George & Hoa; and Simon R.(9), in the Seattle area.
See link to Jenny's letter for Gen Sixers in France.
Also, don't forget Rose, and Molly and Abby.
Who else?

Michael Boehm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Boehm said...

So just to chime in - actually my birthday is the 16th we are just celebrating on the 15th so the neighbors wont complain about the noise...
I think I am second in my generation, Tom Halsted is my elder by a year or so.
On the Geni site I like it because its really Do It Yourself and easy, and because its fun to look at with the pictures.
http://www.geni.com/tree/index/4049645
id:michaelinchina@yahoo.com
pw:Sharksmouth
I tend to color in broad strokes and dont mind if I make errors, I find that seeing it wrong gets folks started correcting and once they see how easy it is they go to town.
Some folks have commented that it is Michael Centric (well this is my view of the world anyway so I dont notice) and this is only for convenience of access. If you request I will send you an invite and you can make your own login and have the world revolve around you (kind of a nice though for the digital age).