Monday, February 11, 2008

Vancouver: City of Wusses

This blog thing is a neat idea. I always kind of envied "Gen 4" for their cousin-filled summers, while I don't really feel that I know my cousins well at all. Perhaps we will discover all sorts of surprising things about one another here. For example, did you know I like to read apocalyptic comic books and I once sat on a shitsu-poodle ("shi-poo") puppy?

If anyone's wondering what I'm up to these days, here it is: First, I finished my undergraduate degree in December. The kind lady at the McGill Administrative-Disaster Recovery Centre says I'm getting "First Class Honours in Linguistics and a Minor Concentration in Philosophy." I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds mildly impressive. As undergraduate degrees go.

That FINALLY finished I moved to Vancouver in late January to live with my boyfriend who has been here for the last 2.5 years working on a BFA. Vancouver is a very pretty and vibrant city of people who think an inch of snow is a five-alarm emergency.

The final interesting thing in my life right now is that for some unknown reason I've been selected to speak on my undergraduate research at this big scary grown-up confrence in Newcastle, England in late March. I will tell them my crazy ideas and they will bombard me with questions, to which I will reply, "I'm sorry, but I'm basically an undergrad. I have no idea what you're talking about" until they get bored and stop asking.

(I'm also painting an unaccountably cheesy landscape. It's not my fault: phthalo blue is EXACTLY the colour of a twilit sky. It's hard to resist.)

3 comments:

Nell said...

Hi Meaghan, let's see your paintings?

Nell

DougB said...

true... we love cheese!

If you can take a digital photo, there's a 'Picture' button in the Compose window, where you compose new posts, that's how you attach a photo within the post... not in comments. A bit clunky trying to get it to format poifickly, but heck, we ain't into perfection, just excellence!

Anonymous said...

Yes! let's see your painting!

Do you know that we can see your new city from our back door? 2 days ago I picked up a message in a bottle on our beach that I found out had been released from a dock in Vancouver 3 weeks ago?
Congratulations on your trip to England.