If it's acceptable to the few folks who have become contributors, I'd like to change the access permissions to 'Anyone can Read', but 'Write only with Permission'.
This would allow Hallie or Jim&Maggie or anyone else with reservations to see what's going on. None of us have said anything that *I* consider personal in here yet, and as said somewhere previously, that's not the intent here anyway.
So...
bytheway... I've been all through the Wiki site Mike set up, which is pretty neat as a library, but has what I (on dialup) consider to be slow performance (Mark&Chantiel's two photos took 10 minutes to load, unlike most others which are immediate) and I think Blogger's setup automatically optimizes uploaded photos, which Wiki may not do.
I also wonder if the Nav Tree in Wiki is customizable, so perhaps one could see the entire listing of family pages without going into that page first. The nav tree should show it all, imo.
I do find the Wiki kind of static, and when Mark says 'We're currently living in...' I wonder when he wrote that, which in a blog is immediately ID-able.
Not wishing to be a complainer, and not tooting the bloghorn, I'm sure both can be improved!
5 comments:
I'd be fine with removing the read protection.
I can see using both blog and wiki. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Stuff that we'd like to be more permanent can go in the wiki: stories & anecdotes, history, photos, family trees, annual reports, newsletters, ... While the blog can have chit chat, the trip we were just on, questions, discussion, etc. And there can be links back and forth. Wow! This can be really amazing!
bloghorn-leghorn.
I may still be be paranoid, but my concern about public access is more a concern with security than privacy. What one wants to reveal about onesself is one's own business. I am more concerned about public access to email addresses, real addresses and names and any information that can be gained from the discussion.
I agree with maggie b that both wiki and blog are good and have different purposes
I just noticed Meaghan's last comment.... I'm glad my hideous puns don't go *unappreciated*!
Post a Comment